A blueberry galette is healthier than pie! This rustic blueberry berry tart is simple and irresistible, with a flaky crust and candy tart berries.
Bought blueberries and need a baking mission? Right here’s a deal with that’s tastier than blueberry pie, in our opinion. Do this Blueberry Galette! This free-form blueberry tart is so easy to whip up with no particular gear: and the flavour is out of this world. The filling is piled with candy tart berries, sweetened simply sufficient and heightened with lemon zest and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It’s all encased in a golden flaky pastry crust, which kinds an enthralling body for the berries. High with vanilla ice cream and it’s a heavenly summer time dessert. This one is a favourite over right here!
Elements for a blueberry galette (aka blueberry tart)
A galette is a country French tart: a spherical pie made and not using a pie plate utilizing a folded pastry crust. There’s no want for a pie plate or exact rolling and sizing of the dough. Merely roll it out, place on a baking sheet, and fold over the crust. This system makes killer desserts (like this peach galette), and this blueberry filling is one among our favorites. Even higher: you should use recent or frozen blueberries! Right here’s what you’ll want for this rustic blueberry tart:
- Blueberries: Contemporary are finest, however frozen work nice right here too! Because the filling is cooked till the berries are smooth and jammy, frozen berries work simply as properly.
- Granulated sugar and turbinado sugar
- Lemon zest
- Baking powder
Recommendations on working with galette dough
A very powerful a part of this blueberry galette? The dough! This pastry dough could be very straightforward to work with: and also you don’t must form it such as you would for a pie. Nevertheless, there are some things to notice concerning the methodology. Right here’s what to remember:
- Spoon and stage the flour (or weigh it in grams). Spoon the flour into the measuring cup, then stage it with the again of the spoon. This gives most correct measurement: scooping flour proper out of the container packs it in, which may end up in extra flour in a cup. Or higher but, use a meals scale and weigh the flour out in grams.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to chop the butter into the dough. Mash the butter into the dry elements till a pebbly texture kinds.
- Add simply sufficient water for the dough to come back collectively. Often it takes us about 5 tablespoons, although this depends upon the precise flour quantity (once more; grams is most correct).
- Chill 1 hour. That is essential in order that the butter can chill once more: in any other case, the crust can soften within the oven.
- Roll right into a 12-inch circle on a floured floor. Choose up the dough and add extra flour to the floor as vital if it’s sticking.
- Gently fold it as much as create a 2-inch crust. You’ll must overlap the folds to make a circle: see the images.
- Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. An egg wash makes a pleasant golden sheen on the crust! You probably have it, chunky turbinado sugar makes a pleasant crunch on the crust; however granulated sugar works too.
Toppings for this blueberry galette
Learn how to serve this blueberry galette? This rustic pie tastes nice by itself, however we adore it with a small dollop of vanilla ice cream. The way in which the cream compliments the tangy berries is unreal! Listed here are just a few extra concepts for toppings:
Bought leftovers of this blueberry galette? Place it in a storage container and refrigerate for as much as 4 days. Making it to serve the subsequent day? Go away it out on the counter for half-hour earlier than serving to let it come to room temperature. It’s also possible to gently reheat it in a 350 diploma oven.
Extra blueberry recipes
Wish to make extra with this candy berry? Listed here are a few of our favourite blueberry recipes:
This blueberry tart recipe is…
Vegetarian. For vegan, substitute vegan butter.
A blueberry galette is healthier than pie! This rustic berry tart is simple and irresistible, with a flaky crust and candy tart pops of berries.
For the galette dough:
- 1 ½ cups [210 grams] all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons chilly unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons chilly water
- 1 egg, for the egg wash
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
For the filling:
- 3 cups blueberries, recent or frozen
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, kosher salt, and baking powder. Slice the butter into small items, then use a pastry blender or fork to chop it into the flour combination till principally integrated and a pebbly texture kinds (with pea-sized or smaller items).
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of the cool water over the flour, mixing step by step with a fork till the flour is usually integrated. Add the extra 1 to 2 tablespoons of water till all of the flour is integrated, kneading along with your fingers till the dough comes collectively. (Resist the urge so as to add extra water; it ought to come collectively!) Kind the dough right into a ball and flatten right into a thick disk. Wrap it in plastic or place it in a lined container and chill the dough for 1 hour. (To make prematurely, you possibly can refrigerate the dough as much as 3 days; permit to take a seat at room temperature half-hour earlier than rolling. Or, wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze as much as 3 months, then defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than rolling.)
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit.
- Combine the filling elements in a medium bowl: blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt.
- On a floured floor, roll the dough into an excellent 12” circle, leaving the perimeters tough (if wanted, transfer the dough round and add a bit extra flour beneath to maintain it from sticking). Rigorously switch the dough to a sheet of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pile the blueberries within the middle of the crust and unfold them in an excellent layer, leaving at the very least 2 inches of dough across the outdoors edge. Evenly sprinkle the sugar within the backside of the bowl excessive. Fold within the outdoors edges of the dough over the filling to kind an roughly 2-inch crust, overlapping the folds as proven within the images.
- Whisk the egg and use a pastry brush to brush it onto the crust. Sprinkle the crust with turbinado sugar (or extra granulated sugar).
- Bake the galette for 28 to 32 minutes till the crust is golden brown. Take away from the oven and switch the parchment paper to a baking rack to chill. Cool to room temperature (about 1 hour) earlier than slicing into items and serving. It’s divine with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Retailer leftovers for as much as 4 days refrigerated; deliver to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Class: Dessert
- Technique: Baked
- Delicacies: French impressed
- Weight loss plan: Vegetarian
Key phrases: Blueberry galette, blueberry galette recipe