This model of tabbouleh – the Center Jap herb and bulgur salad – is zingy, aromatic, and SO refreshing. Good for a mezze platter or picnic!
Herbs are arguably my favourite recent components, so it ought to come as no shock that I really like tabbouleh. Alternatively spelled tabouli or tabouleh, this Center Jap salad consists of finely chopped parsley, mint, tomatoes, and bulgur wheat.
Don’t let the bulgur’s presence idiot you – conventional Lebanese tabbouleh isn’t a lot a grain salad as it’s an herb salad with grains. The parsley and mint are the true star components, making the salad pungent, aromatic, and intensely refreshing.
You’ll discover my go-to tabbouleh recipe beneath. If you happen to love shiny, herbaceous flavors, it’s one it’s important to strive. Pack it up for a picnic, serve it as a aspect dish, or add it to your subsequent mezze platter. Regardless of the way you serve it, I feel it’ll be successful.
Tabbouleh Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll must make this tabbouleh recipe:
- Parsley, after all! I usually use Italian flat-leaf parsley in my cooking, however tabbouleh is an exception. I like curly parsley’s lighter texture, tamer taste, and brighter colour right here.
- Mint – It provides scrumptious cooling notes to the salad.
- Bulgur wheat – If you happen to’re not acquainted with it, bulgur is solely cracked wheat that’s been partially cooked after which dried. Conventional tabbouleh can be made with wonderful bulgur, however as a result of I’ve bother discovering it in grocery shops the place I stay, I usually put together the salad with coarse bulgur. Use whichever you will discover – both works properly.
- Cucumber – For crunch! I like English and Persian cucumbers greatest right here. If you happen to’re utilizing an everyday cucumber, I like to recommend peeling and seeding it.
- Tomatoes – They add juicy texture to the salad.
- Scallions and garlic – They provide the salad an oniony chunk.
- Coriander and cinnamon – For earthy depth of taste.
- Contemporary lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil – They create a shiny, zesty dressing for the salad.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
To make this tabbouleh recipe, you’ll begin by chopping the herbs.
Sure, I do know. There are a LOT of herbs on this recipe.
Nonetheless, I nonetheless advocate that you just use a pointy knife to cut them by hand as a substitute of reaching for a meals processor. The meals processor can bruise them, giving them a soggy texture as a substitute of a lightweight one.
When you prep the salad’s components, place them in a big bowl and toss to mix. Season to style and serve straight away, or cowl the salad and refrigerate it for as much as 3 days. It solely will get higher because the flavors combine and mingle.
Tabbouleh Serving Recommendations
I’m glad consuming this tabbouleh salad as a aspect dish with nearly something – say, a veggie burger at a cookout or a Caprese sandwich on a picnic. But it surely particularly shines alongside Mediterranean and Center Jap dishes. Strive pairing it with a falafel wrap, or add it to a mezze platter with parts similar to these:
- Dips and spreads. Hummus, baba ganoush, muhammara, and tzatziki are all incredible with tabbouleh.
- Pita bread. We like to make our personal! (Although in a pinch, store-bought is completely wonderful too.)
- Cheeses. Set out cubes of feta, or make do-it-yourself labneh or this whipped feta dip.
- Contemporary veggies. Sliced cucumbers, radishes, peppers, and cherry tomatoes are all wonderful.
- Olives or toasted nuts. I really like to incorporate just a few flavorful finger meals similar to these.
How do you wish to serve tabbouleh? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Herb-y Salads
If you happen to love this tabbouleh recipe, strive considered one of these recent salads subsequent:
Tabbouleh (additionally spelled tabouli or tabouleh) is a Center Jap salad produced from recent herbs and bulgur wheat. We love this model for picnics and mezze platters. Make it as much as 3 days prematurely, and serve it chilled or at room temperature.
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons recent lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon floor coriander
- Pinch cinnamon
- 3 cups finely chopped curly parsley, about 2 bunches
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1 cup cored and diced tomato
- ⅔ cup cooked bulgur wheat*
- ⅓ cup finely chopped recent mint
- 2 scallions, chopped
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, coriander, and cinnamon. Add the parsley, cucumber, tomato, bulgur, mint, and scallions and toss to mix.
Season to style and chill till able to serve.
To organize wonderful bulgur, place it in a bowl and canopy with 1/2 inch of water. Soak for 20 minutes, or till tender. Drain.